Sunday, June 3, 2012

The Best Thing I've Ever Done With Brussel Sprouts

Wow, this was good: brussel sprouts and carrots with chilis, hoisin and black bean sauce.

I took maybe two cups of brussel sprouts, cleaned 'em, split them in half and blanched them (a fancy way of saying I boiled them in salted water for about 3 minutes and then threw them into ice-water). Don't over-cook 'em -- you don't want them soft just yet.

Then I cut up two carrots into bite-sized chunks (not huge ones). I sauteed the carrots and brussel sprouts in a frying pan over medium heat -- in a half-tablespoon of olive oil -- with maybe a third of an onion, chopped medium fine. I added black pepper, but no salt -- black bean sauce is super-salty stuff.

After about... 3-4 minutes, I added a half clove of garlic (this is huge, very fresh garlic, so you might want to use a whole clove of supermarket stuff), a third of a jalapeƱo -- both chopped fine -- and let that cook for about a minute.

Then I added a tablespoon of chinese black bean sauce, an equal amount of hoisin sauce (you can get both at the supermarket) and a little bit of water to thin it out. After a few more minutes -- until carrots and brussel sprouts are soft ... Yum! Try it!






4 comments:

shabis078 said...

I like the valuable information you provide in your articles. I’ll your weblog and check again here frequently.
I am quite sure I will learn many new stuff right here! Best of luck for the next..,.,.
yaz lawsuit

Richard Sandberg said...

This blog is truly awesome in all aspects.
Yasmin Blood Clots

francis beth said...

This blog is truly awesome in all aspects.
a fantastic read

cherry su said...

There have were times of hardship when I felt unhappy missing knowledge about opportunities of getting high yields on investments. I was a dump and downright pessimistic person.I have never thought that there weren't any need in big initial investment.Nowadays, I'm happy and lucky , I started take up real income.It's all about oyster pearl that is incorporate it in real deals, and shares the freshwater pearl necklace with you.If you get a chance pop up by my page, maybe you would like clip on pearl earrings.